Authors Note

This story was originally written for the LiveJournal “31 Days” community (prompt: “trace“).

Star Light, Star Bright

Vista Point was Geo’s favorite hangout spot in Echo Ridge. He could always go out there for a moment’s peace, and to examine the starts dotting the moonlit sky. Tonight, he planned to take a closer look at them with his pocket telescope. Before he could finish setting it up, he could hear a familiar voice from the bottom of the hill.

“There you are, Geo!”

Luna walking up to Geo and sat on the bench behind him, holding a small blue bag with a pair of turkey sandwiches in it. “I thought I’d find you up here,” she said. “Would you like something to eat?”

Geo sighed, and accepted one of Luna’s sandwiches. “Thanks, Luna. So, what are you doing out here?”

“Well, I figured I’d take a walk around the park tonight to get some fresh air. I don’t visit this place very often, so I came up.” She stood up from the bench to examine Geo’s telescope as he assembled the remaining pieces. “I see you’re already getting into the swing of things. If you put this much energy into your school work, the teachers wouldn’t pick on you so much.”

Geo shook his head. He didn’t want to talk about school tonight, but he also didn’t want to say anything to Luna for fear of her driving her away.

“Oh, come on, Geo,” said Luna, giggling softly. “You know I only tease you because I like you.”

“It’s all right, really,” he replied. “I was going to use this telescope here to look for constellations. Maybe tonight I’ll get to see Taurus, or Cygnus, or…”

“Constellations, huh? Sounds like fun. Can I take a look?”

“Sure.”

Luna peered into the viewing lens of the telescope, hoping to see one of the so-called “constellations” she heard about in science class. She tilted it in several different directions and adjusted a few dials, but didn’t notice any differences between the thousands of stars. “What’s going on?” she asked. “I don’t see any of these constellations, Geo. Maybe your telescope is broken.”

“That’s funny. It’s always worked for me before. Try looking for the brighter stars in the sky, and draw the lines between them in your head.”

Luna moved the telescope two degrees to her right, and noticed a set of stars tht formed a diamond shape, with a small star just below it to form a tail. “Hey, I think I see something now!” she said excitedly. “This one looks kinda like an eagle.”

“Ah! That there’s Aquila,” said Geo. “The bright star there is Altair, which I guess would be the closest to the head of the eagle. You don’t get to see this one very often. It’s best if you come out during the summer months.”

“Wow, you really do know your stuff, Geo,” said Luna. “Thanks for letting me see that. I can’t wait to tell the boys about this. I’m sure at least Zack would appreciate it.”

Geo chuckled. “Yeah. Zack would like it. I don’t know about Bud, though.”

Luna gave Geo a quick hug, and looked away from the telescope and up at Altair. Aquila was harder to see without the scope, but she still noticed the lone star hovering and shining brighter than all the others. “Ah, so romantic,” she whispered to herself.

If you want to leave a review for this story, click here! You can also read the reviews left for this story so far here.