Author's Note

Another one shot. I was actually getting ready to go to sleep, but I suddenly got a random spark of inspiration. The title actually comes from one of my favorite songs, though, this story has no relation to it (And is NOT a song-fic). This is a Christmas fanfiction...even if it's April. I don't care. >> Christmas is awesome enough for any time! :P But yes, on with the story~

Pure Snow

Luna sat by her window, watching each snow flake fall, decorating the windowsill. Christmas Eve and for the first time, her parents wouldn't be home. In a way, it wasn't too bad, after all, whenever they came, many of their employees came as well. It had never been a family thing, just for them to brag and for her to act as prim as proper as they expected.

However, despite feeling somewhat relaxed, Luna couldn't help but feel somewhat lonely. Standing up, she rubbed out the wrinkles of her velvet red dress, white puffs of faux fur lining the bottom. She made sure to dress up nice, even if she was alone, a red ribbon adorned in her hair, and a pair of white tights on her legs. Luna took a seat on the couch and began playing with her transer. Gonta had gone out with his family to celebrate at a restaurant and Kizamaro and his family had gone on a vacation into the mountains, leaving her feeling even more lonely. Her thoughts moved to a certain brown haired boy, wondering if she should bother him. Without another word, she grabbed a present from under the tree, put on her long, lilac, winter coat and placed on her boots, heading out the door. Nobody wants to be alone on Christmas Eve.

Luna slowly made her way down the block, the snow building up quickly. While it had been slow and gentle just a few minutes ago, a blizzard had begun and the snow's pace was increasing quickly. She shivered, but just clutched the present tightly, as she continued moving through the snow. She just hoped they were awake, it was late after all.

Making her way to the door step, she slowly rang the bell. "Why don't I ever just call him?! We're brothers! I shouldn't have to come to his house everytime I see him!" She exclaimed in a low tone. The door opened only a few seconds later.

"I-Inchou?! What are you doing here?" Subaru asked quickly, before noticing the weather. "Erm...come in first." He added, moving out of the way for the girl to enter.

"Oh! Luna-chan! Merry Christmas!" Akane exclaimed, noticing the blonde-haired girl as she began taking off her boots.

"Merry Christmas!" Luna exclaimed, taking off her coat with a slight shiver. She was still quite cold from her walk outside.

"Now, what are you doing here?" Subaru asked.

"Subaru! Be nice."

Subaru just sighed. He wasn't trying to be rude, but he knew Luna had the tendency to avoid certain questions.

"I'm just visiting." Luna whispered softly, barely loud enough for Subaru to here. Subaru was about to ask when Akane began speaking. "Shouldn't you be with your parents?"

Luna paused, as she looked towards the window, the snow continuing to fall. "They're busy overseas."

Subaru felt his face fall and could swear he saw at least one tear leave the girl's eyes. "O-Oh...I'm sorry." Akane said softly, feeling bad for asking. "Would you like to stay here for the night?"

Luna was surprised by the offer. She had come to invite Subaru to her house, but liked the sound of this much more. Her eyes wandered towards Subaru. "If it's alright with both of you, I'd love to"

Akane gave Subaru a knowing look and he just nodded. "It's fine."

"Thank you both." Luna said softly, as she began to take off her coat.

"You dressed up every though nobody was home?" War Rock interrupted.

"War Rock!"

"It's Christmas Eve, and whether I have something to do or not, I should still look my best." Luna stated, a hint of frustration in her voice.

"Now, I expect all three of you to behave." Akane said strictly as she took some cookies out of the oven. "I'm going to make some hot chocolate and then I hope we can all have a nice snack together before bed, alright?"

The two nodded as Akane smiled, turning back toward the kitchen stove. "Umm...Hoshikawa-kun..." Luna started softly, a small blush crossing her face.

"What is it?" Subaru asked.

"This is for you." Luna said quickly, holding out the gift in her hands.

Subaru took it from her hands and looked towards his mother, but his question was quickly answered. "You can open it, but you have to give Luna-chan her gift too!" And with that, he quickly took the paper off, revealing a sphere, covered in stars.

"It's supposed to show the constellations and I know you really like astronomy so..." Luna explained, trying to hide her blush.

"Thank you!" Subaru exclaimed. The look on his face said it all, it was like how most little kids would be the first time they were in a candy shop, with eyes sparkling and smiles wide.

Luna just smiled, happy that he liked it. She had looked for hours for something he'd like and wouldn't already have. She watched as Subaru quickly placed his gift down on the counter and headed toward the tree. Subaru bent down and picked up a shiny turquoise bag with pastel green, purple, and pink tissue paper pushing out the top.

"Here's your gift." Subaru said softly as he walked over to Luna, the bag in hand.

"Thank you." Luna said softly, as she took the gift. Opening it, she found a small, pink, plush bunny buried at the bottom.

"We couldn't think of too much that you'd want, but you had a lot of plush dolls in your room so I thought--"

"I love it. Thank you so much, Hoshikawa-kun."

What came next, Subaru didn't expect, as his blonde haired friend embraced him tightly. Subaru hugged her back a few seconds later as his shock subsided.

"Everything is done now!" Akane exclaimed causing the two to quickly seperate, blood rushing to their cheeks.

Akane looked at the two confused, but just shook her head and smiled as she decorated the tops of mugs filled with hot chocolate with whip cream and cocoa. Subaru and Luna took a seat at the table while Akane took out some plates. Placing three cookies on each, she put the plates in front of them, moving two mugs towards their direction. "Enjoy, you two, okay? I'm going to wrap up the rest of the cookies for tomorrow." Akane explained, as she got out a small container. "I expect you two to head right to bed on the couches, once you finish, alright?"

"Yes!" The two said in unison.

Akane gave one more smile before leaving the kitchen to get pillows and blankets for the two.

Luna and Subaru began eating their cookies in silence, just taking in the others' company. Subaru wanted to talk to her more about her situation at home, but wasn't sure if he should. He watched her glance over toward the window, snow still falling and decorating the windows with every flake. Scooting his chair towards his friend, Subaru felt it was the best time.

"Hey, Inchou?"

"What is it?" Luna asked, turning towards him. She quickly began to blush when she noticed her had moved closer to her.

"I'm sorry about your family..."

Luna quickly looked down towards her empty plate as she took another sip of her hot chocolate. "It's fine. Don't worry about it."

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"Sort of." Subaru was about to ask for clarification, but Luna continued. "Every year, they have a huge party for all their employees, so I have to act just as much of a host as they are... Greeting everyone, making sure everybody is entertained, all those kinds of things. We usually have everyone take off, so I'm stuck getting everything, so it's kind of nice to relax for once..." Luna said softly. "But..."

"But...?"

"It's not really a proper time to be alone, am I right, Hoshikawa-kun?"

Subaru nodded, as Luna gave him a sad smile. "I'm sorry for interrupting your Christmas, though."

"It's fine. I'm sure my mom is thrilled you came by anyway. The more, the merrier, after all."

"And it is the season." The two said in unison.

Akane laid down the blankets and pillows quietly, as to not interrupt the two friends. She quickly headed off, hoping they wouldn't notice her.

The two finished their hot chocolate and placed their empty plates and mugs in the sink. They took a seat in the living room, fixing up the blankets and pillows for each. Subaru put the television on and was surprised to see it was quite late. Midnight was only a few minutes away.

He flipped through the channels, trying to see if there was anything interesting, the events of tonight and the snacks his mother had prepared had given him a bit of a boost. He turned to look towards Luna to ask for her opinion, but noticed she had already fallen asleep on his shoulder, no less.

"H-hey...Inchou...Inchou..." Subaru whispered, a bit nervous.

"Do you really want to wake her? Who knows what she'll do to you." War Rock stated, causing Subaru to get more nervous.

Subaru moved slightly out of the way for her to lay down on the pillow at the edge of the couch. He pulled the blanket over her and turned off the television. Laying down, he pulled a blanket over himself, and turned to see his blonde haired friend sleeping away. "Good night, Inchou. Merry Christmas." Subaru said softly, and with that, he closed his eyes and headed to sleep, a smile on his face.

Yep, that is the end. I actually had some stuff changed, mostly because I had to try and keep my inspiration while being upset by other things, but at least I finished~ So yay for that. ^_^

If you want to leave a review for this story, click here! You can also read the reviews left for this story so far here.